Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chili Relleno Rice



One of my favorite celebrity chefs to follow is Tyler Florence. Besides his good looks and great personality (Ha!), he knows how to cook. His recipes are pretty spot on, easy to follow and delicious!  I'll be talking a lot about him and sharing a lot of his recipes I've used in future blogs. So if you don't own any of his books, stay tuned for more of his recipes here!


The latest book I own of his is Tyler Florence Family Meal. This book features great photos and has several great recipes from him being at home with his family, his restaurant Wayfare Tavern in San Francisco and a good old fashioned potluck with his neighbors. I would definitely recommend it for your cookbook library.


I have to share this recipe I tried from the book, Chili Relleno Rice. Definitely not low fat but pretty damn good. It's a recipe from his neighbor Christina Flach who brought it over for a potluck and as Tyler puts it, “It’s not fancy, but trust me, it is really amazing and everyone at the potluck walked out the door asking for this recipe.” Delicious, easy, feeds the family including kids and is great for a potluck.


I added my own little twist to the mix...

3/4 cup of frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup of diced yellow onion, cooked until slightly browned
1 jalapeƱo, finely diced for a kick

Next time, I will add chicken or even chorizo!


Here's Christinas recipe...

Serves 6-8

2 cups cooked white rice
2 cups sour cream
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 (7 oz.) cans diced mild green chilies, drained
2 cups cubes Monterey jack cheese
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper


Preheat the oven to 375-degrees. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice, sour cream, condensed soup, chilies and cheese. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper. Spread the rice in the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned.

Serve it hot!
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment