Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Carnitas



I love pork and I think I can say that its my favorite meat of them all. Last weekend I made Pork Carnitas which is pork shoulder that has been slowly cooked until it is pull-apart tender. This Dish has been around for many years in Mexican cuisine. Traditionally the pork is slow cooked in its own fat (lard) which is similar to the technique of confit. Today, there are a few ways to cook them and usually very simple and inexpensive to prepare. I cook mine in the oven, season them well and do not use any fat. Its another favorite at home and with friends. Between 2 of us, we usually have leftovers for a few days but this recipe feeds 6-8 if you're making them for tacos.

I like my Carnitas with a lot of flavor and bark. So to get more of that nice crunchy bark straight out of the oven, I usually cut the pork shoulder to pieces the size of my fist.  Hope you enjoy!

Cooking time including prep is 3.5 hours.


1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 tsp cumin, toasted then ground
1  tbsp chili powder ( preferably Chile Pasilla and Chile Guajillo powder which can be purchased at your local Mexican grocer)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
5 lbs of pork shoulder, bone in and cut in fist size pieces
5 bay leaves
5 -7 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees


In a small bowl mix first 5 ingredients together to make the marinade. Have pork ready and cut in a large bowl, including bone. Pour the marinade over the pork and make sure every piece has been coated. Transfer  the pork to a large dutch oven and throw in garlic and bay leaves. Without washing away the marinade on the meat, carefully pour water on side of dutch oven, cover and place in oven. Set timer for 3-1/2 hours. Don't touch it! Once its done, set on a cutting board and pull the meat apart.

I usually serve this with soft corn tortillas and my Tomatillo salsa or Chimichurri.


Suggested garnishes are: minced yellow onion, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment