Saturday, September 1, 2012

Shrimp and Sausage Cioppino



Tonight's dinner is one of my favorite Giada De Laurentiis recipes, Shrimp and Sausage Cioppino.
Not your traditional cioppino, but definitly a hearty stew with great texture and bold flavor that is sure to warm your soul. Her recipe calls for Italian turkey sausage, but I used a spicy Italian sausage. Both just as good. I also added another half can of cannellini beans.




Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
  • cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1 large or 2 small shallots, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1/4 teaspoon
  • 1 pound spicy Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
  • 2 cups white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • Serving suggestion: crusty sourdough bread (I also serve it with lemon wedges)



Directions
  • In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, garlic, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and break into 1/2-inch pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomato paste, chicken broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
    Uncover the pan and add the shrimp, beans, basil, and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Ladle the cioppino into soup bowls and serve with crusty bread.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorena, I was very excited to find this recipe here on your blog. I thought it was so delicious when you shared it with me during my stay in San Francisco. You have so many great looking dishes here I can't wait to try. Your warm heart and friendly spirit are manifest in your cooking. It was truly a pleasure meeting you and I am so appreciative of all the wonderful home cooked meals you shared with me while I was in the Bay area. I look forward to seeing you during my next visit. All the Best, Denver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denver! I just saw this post! I am so very sorry for he late response. You are too sweet! Rudy told me you made this recipe as well! So glad you enjoyed it and it was very nice meeting you! HOpe o see you again!

    ReplyDelete